YETI DEFLECTOR RECAP OF WINTER OF 2016, AND IMPROVED DESIGN FOR 16/17
Last winter, chances are I talked to you, and or your dealer about the YETI belt drive deflector. I want to thank you all for your patience as together we discovered that our new deflector was not up to the strength that we designed it to be.
You all were great! Most of you were all having so much fun riding your YETI’s that if you broke one of these deflectors, we just send you a new one (or two, or three) at no charge (customer paid shipping) to keep you rolling, and you all understood that a new product might have an issue, thank you for your patience.
When you purchase a high end product you expect support, and that is what we did, stand behind our product even when it is expensive and painful. We kept sending deflectors, while in the background kept testing and redesigning them.
By the end of the season, we gave away around 350 of them or $28,000 worth of deflectors to keep you, our customers happy not an easy thing to do in our first year of production, but that is what we do, provide support.
All that stated, this was our largest failure of last winter, and again we appreciate your patience, and even though we sent out all those parts, we still had lots of riders who never broke one.
What did we learn?
- The deflector was produced in the wrong material, after we traced it back to the supplier ( there are 6000+ types of material to produce this part in, we learned a lot)
- The way we fastened the deflector to the chassis using taper head M3 fasteners caused stress in the part as the taper head forced it’s way into the plastic taper, if you look at the picture below, when you hit a solid object, the stress went into these tapers and created a crack right to them due to the stress they were already under. Corrective action: We eliminated these fasteners and changed to a flat head with no taper.
- The incorrect material had no cold weather additive or strength, it was brittle. See the photo below. Corrective action: We changed materials and tested repeatedly.
- The bottom lip of the clear cover would flex a bit in certain snow conditions and force snow past the seal causing the belt drive to fill up with snow, and then break the belt if too much snow got in there before you noticed. Corrective action: We added a protective lip to lock the clear cover in place and add more strength.
-The o-ring seal would come out some times upon removal of the cover. Corrective action: We have removed the seal it is no longer needed, and changed the design.
- Some customers forget to tighten their tensioner arm bolt (the 17mm nut) in the centre of the tensioner wheel. Corrective action: We have included a 8mm jamb nut to go on the end of the tensioner arm bolt.
- The failure of this part lead to our Product Improvement Plan. To us this means our original part did not meet our expectations, and because of this we will supply to each YETI customer with a serial number one new deflector and fasteners free of charge (customer pays shipping).
Then on top of all that, because we really want to make the best design possible for all our riding enjoyment, we added 1.5mm to the floor of the deflector, and then 2mm to the entire walls and outside thicknesses and in our final revision we added 3mm to the very bottom on the deflector too. The load from impact on this part is transferred into the bearing plates, the 3mm fasteners only hold the deflector to the carbon.
In the end, we have produced, and tested this part for 6 months, on rocks, curbs, logs etc, and we have not shattered one, we have cracked them, but not broken one that would leave you on the hill requiring a change. Watch our video to see a strength test of this part.
HOW get your NEW DEFLECTOR KIT
We are going to ship each Canadian YETI dealer one new Deflector for each YETI that they had ordered last season on September 30th, 2016. We are providing these parts at no charge, the customer only has to pay shipping.
Your dealer will contact you and arrange to get your new deflector to you.
If you do not hear from your dealer, or you get missed, you can goto our new YETI online store, that will be open later this month, you can order your new deflector kit there. You will need your YETI serial number to order it.
The part number for the new Deflector kit is YAPI2076, an (8) piece kit, includes a new deflector, 6 new titanium fasteners, and a 8mm jamb nut for the tensioner arm.
Select your part, proceed to the check out, you will then select your dealer that you wish to have it shipped to, then you will need to enter your payment info to pay for the shipping, and complete your order. It will get shipped to your dealer, and you can pick it up there.
If there is no dealer near you, choose the option at the bottom of the dealer list ( no dealer near me) and we will ship it to you directly.
If you paid for a deflector last winter, send me an email with a copy of your receipt, and we will provide you a credit on account here, or a second deflector at no charge.
If you have any questions, please click on the “ASK YETI” tab on the screen and fire me an email.
There is an installation video at the bottom of this message.
Thanks for your business, we are here to help!
YETI SNOWMX BETTER HIGHER FASTER